Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Naming our implanted devices

I have named my defibrillator "Skippy" - little tiny dude with little tiny paddles ready to squeak "clear" as needed. Someone suggested I name him something more profound or dramatic like Phoenix from the ashes. I said I had plenty of drama around all this without that type of statement. i was looking for something a little more friendly or lighthearted (no pun intended).
Then i posted to SCA - the online community for Sudden Cardiac Arrest - and yes, many people name their devices. We anthropomorphize to humanize it all or make it seem somewhat more gentle, I suppose.

My favorites from my like-hearted souls - one inexplicably calls hers "Eleanor" but my favorite of all - Trigger. Not sure why I like it so much but I do
Trigger and Skippy - telling.

No comments:

Post a Comment