Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Grammy's and Leonard Cohen and being cranky

I was going to write about cars and how not driving for 90 days has made me a better driver, but hold that for another day.

It's been a week and a half and I am still cranky about the Grammy's - right, those music awards. I had been so excited to see that Leonard Cohen was to receive an honor, something along the lines of Lifetime Achievement. I told friends, marshaled an audience and poof - he got all of a 10 second "shout out" or something to that effect. THEN I checked and sure enough, he had gotten his award the day before in a "special ceremony" - like what the Oscars do with the awards we don't understand (key grips or something... or documentaries filmed in the Southern Hemisphere in odd-numbered months) . But the OSCARS - when they have special honors, they actually HONOR the person.

So Leonard, Loretta Lynn and some others got there pathetic "Shout out" during the ceremony and what was probably their time went to the elaborate spectacle for Michael Jackson. Now, I know Jackson is dead, and I know he single-handedly saved the music industry back in the Thriller days, but come on --- he died because he was a drug addict. Admittedly, I'm not much of a fan - I was, when the music was great - but over the years, the ick factor rose and quality of music declined until finally ick turned into revulsion, and I just didn't follow Mr. Jackson any more.

So he got Leonard's time, and I am still cranky. Cohen's contributions are legion. I am so grateful that I got to see him a few months ago; such an outstanding concert, and a terrific time all the way around.

So I'll put my crankiness to rest, but geez Grammy producers, you should either honor them or not - .

I'll get back to the unanticipated benefits of not driving next time.

PS Skippy remains absolutely quiet. Tomorrow I have to do a "manual transmission" of his data - should not be scary, but it is. I'm trying to figure who to coerce to come over here while I am doing it - just in case Skippy perks up.

No comments:

Post a Comment