Saturday, June 18, 2011

Renoir, Hayes, and Shut Me Up


"One must from time to time attempt things that are beyond one's capacity". Pierre-Auguste Renoir.

For years, I thought Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) would be my dominant health issue.  I inherited that one (in my 30's) from the maternal side of the family.  It's nothing to sneeze at, to be sure, but it certainly hopped into the back seat when the Sudden Cardiac Arrest (SCA) arrived.  RA is in the family of 'auto-immune' disorders; as with MS, lupus and others, the body attacks itself without anything resembling a decent explanation.  Or a cure.  Charming.

Renoir had horribly crippling RA and in his last years, he had assistants tie the brushes to his mangled hands so he could continue to paint.  Some of his masterpieces.  Yesterday, I met Mr. Ivey Hayes, an artist here in Wilmington, N.C. who struggles with and overcomes the same aggressive strain of RA that Renoir stared down, the same that destroyed my mom's hands, feet, knees and other joints - before she turned 50.  (My RA, fortunately, is far less severe.  I credit Dad's ironclad, gin-fortified, indestructible DNA).

There are numerous photos that survive of Renoir's last months, with those same mangled hands.  I know people who cannot bear to look at them.... I worked hard to get my hands on a couple copies as I find them inspirational beyond words.  If he could do that....


I am honored and humbled to have met Mr. Hayes, same as I am each time I stand before Luncheon of the Boating Party, same as in knowing that the Renoir photos exist.  Makes me remember to shut the hell up.

(Mr. Ivey Hayes is on Facebook).


1 comment:

  1. Marty,
    I could say that Meniere's is the worst thing in my life. Probably is. Anoxic brain injury is no joke, either. But this arthritis of mine hurts like hell! I don't know how to compare memory, or dizzy-ringing ears, to pain. I guess it's just all bad.

    ReplyDelete