Tuesday, June 19, 2012

SCA Changes Everything - Our Yes and Our No


At first, I thought living through Sudden Cardiac Arrest (SCA) would change nothing. I won't let this change anything.  I am still healthy and strong. I am not old, and this -- this --- this ----event ---won't change me. As if one could will this to be true.

Time goes by, the initial shock, terror and horror pass.  We come to terms with the fact that by all rights, we should have died that day - over 90% die that day.  Then some of us get to come to terms with the joyous but incredible understanding that we had no heart damage and no brain damage - rarity among the rare. We didn't die, our brains and hearts are intact.  Again, I think - I will not let this change me.  Period.  I just won't permit it.

I look back with wonder at how absurd I was.  Every one of us who lives through this is utterly, completely changed. I don't have any substantive physical or mental after-effects.  Oh, sure, I can't walk through a metal detector, I wonder and worry a little about magnets that seem to have become suddenly ubiquitous. And I was bitter about the ban on scuba diving.  But substantively - no physical or mental after-effects.

But nothing is the same.  Everything has changed.  I don't think there is such a thing as an unchanged SCA survivor.  We become seekers - some seek data, some seek a villain to blame, some seek an understanding that will never come, some seek to re-craft our new lives. Pick your poison.  Everything is different.  I say yes when I used to say no; and I say no when I used to say yes.  We are not the same as we were.

I do things I never would have done - ever.  I write this blog and I don't care who reads it. I don't care if it's revealing or embarrassing. Five years ago, I never would have considered a public display such as this.

Last weekend I learned how to make paper.  I love to write; I love paper and pens and ink.  I love fountain pens.  I don't make many things; I made a few hundred jobs, I guess.  I make some contracts now.  But things - I don't make many things.  But I made paper for two days.  Four years ago, I would have scoffed at the idea.  I would have said no to making paper.  I am pragmatic by nature - we can buy paper; there is no point to making it.  After two days of making paper, I have a few sheets I like and one I love.  I don't know exactly what I will do with it, but a fountain pen and some words will be involved.

I made paper.  And a man walking down the beach asked me to leave behind my book and walk with him. I said yes.  He asked for my number and I said yes.  Pre- SCA, I would not have; I would have wanted fingerprints or a mutual friend or some sort of background check, place of employment, license plate - something silly.    Now I just say yes.

I say no to things I don't enjoy. Things I would have continued to do out of a sense of obligation.  Or out of a desire to avoid feeling guilty.   Last year, service on a nonprofit board had become tedious and irritating.  Pre-SCA, I would have continued through my term.  Not now.  I quit mid-term.  My self-induced guilt has lost much of its power since the SCA. If it's not fun or meaningful or gratifying or important, I'm out.  I received a gift on September 5, 2009 and it's mine to keep.

I say yes when I used to say no.  I say no when I used to say yes.  SCA changes everything.

7 comments:

  1. Again (am I sounding boring here? :)) I love your post! I will think this through myself: how did it change me, and what do I want to say yes and no to. But what I loved most about your post is your love for paper and pens and all. I am an addict (a little one) myself ever since I can remember. I have more lovely paper and books and pens that I can use my whole life. I can turn 150 and still have enough. So I am sitting here with a smile on my face! Thanks for this post. My last post (from 10 minutes ago) is in Dutch with an English summary, sometimes writing in my own native language is just so much easier. Take care! Marije

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right! Everything is different. For me, some things are only a little different, others a lot different.

    I too quit a non-profit group I had been with for almost 25 years. It was part of the process of simplifying my life, getting rid of things that caused stress in my life. I'm still working on that.

    I am now about 17 months out from my SCA's and luckily, like you, there seems to be little actual structural damage to either my heart or my mind, although there were some concerns initially. I'm not sure I can describe it very well, but I just don't feel the same, either physically or mentally. I can't say I feel really "good" any day even if I don't have a real specific complaint.

    I think maybe, just the knowledge that I am so very lucky to still be kicking around here makes everything different. For the first couple of months I didn't really realize what had happened. The seriousness of it. How very close I was to actually not existing any more. The realization of that, alone, is what makes "everything" different.

    Your blog is fantastic. It really makes me think. Glad I am still capable of doing that.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello.
    I suffered SCA on Jan 3, 2012. It was five days after losing my father to Alzheimers. A very stressful time. Apparently, Jesus and my father 'pushed' me back down to our earthly home. I did have an experience of feeling I was in between 2 worlds. When I was being aroused from the vent, a team of people were shocked I was responsive. Apprently, I had seizures, 87 degrees upon arrival to the ER, plus a host of other medical issues. I was shocked at what the medical staff, friends and family were telling after being extubated. I felt as if they were mistaken... after all, I've been a nurse for over 20yrs and this issue was not me, but someone else. I had nightmares in the hospital.. In was afraid to fall asleep. Thats what happened 1.3.12 My husband found me, blue, unresponsive. Praying to God was difficult. why ws I spared and not the 3 yr old or the athelete or the elderly person???? Yes, logically I knew It was not my time. So, now the question is... whats my purpose? Thru this journey... peace filled my heart. Then anger, frustration and uncertainity appeared. Six weeks later, I went into respiratory arrest... then in April (finally after burying my father) i suffered hundreds of inappropriate shocks. My lead came out of my right atrium and redirected itself into my superior vena cava. Surgery was required. I have 'twindle syndrome' The device flips around in my chest with different position changes. So, my journey has been challenging.
    Thanks for allowing me to share...
    Best,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE your post!!. We are seeker!. LOVE IT, LOVE IT! Thanks for sharing..I am listening.
    Dolores

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marty, you have a great way with words. I particularly enjoyed this post as it is so relevant to me. We ARE all seekers! Everything HAS changed.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always enjoy reading your posts. Your thoughts on making paper resonated with me. I've become very interested in kayaking, and two months ago instead of buying a second boat (for my wife), I decided to build one instead. So when I read your blog, I had that "Aha!" moment. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete