Monday, January 10, 2011

Youth - Pride and Pain

Two of the young have touched me in the last couple days; one I know and one I do not.
The known- my adult son shortly will  mark two years sobriety.  He has had a road with rocks, turns, twists, ravines, downright ditches.  He has had some dark days in his thirty some years, but now - he has a family, he is succeeding at a wonderful job, he's been promoted, he's been victorious over a rotten gene pool. He is sober.  I am both relieved and proud.

The second is a 17 year old whose mother I happened to "e-meet" on the Sudden Cardiac Arrest website.  Her 17 year old boy survived SCA with limited damage.  He is struggling with all the adjustments; he has had to give up his sports passion, he cannot participate in the contact sports he loves.
He is furious; he is furious with his doctors, at his situation, at his implanted defibrillator.  I ache for him; he is so pissed; he sees the ICD not as a lifesaver but somehow as the cause of his new limitations. He has threatened to find a doctor who will remove the defibrillator when he turns 18.

I empathize with him and with his terrified mother.  It's awful to feel the loss of control, the cold icy fear about the SCA having happened and the ever-present dull dread that it may happen again.  I know we survivors should all be grateful and many days I am.  But there are days of being so pissed off, we need not to talk to people; we need to keep that rage contained.

I struggle and I have the skills and experience of an adult.  Even so, this has certainly been the most difficult challenge of my life. I ache for the young man who has to cope with this, to wrestle it to the ground at 17 - the world is black and white, the skills are limited, the impulses are huge, lashing out feels wonderful if only for a minute.

These two young men gave me pause.

No comments:

Post a Comment