Saturday, March 26, 2011

Shocking

The idea for this post was that I need to remove the word "shocking" from my vocabulary.  I was talking with a friend and said I had been shocked by something.  Dead silence.  The friend said "You can never use that word again.  I thought it was the defibrillator".

Well, Skippy the implanted defibrillator has not shocked me.  Some people have, but not Skippy.  But out of deference and affection for my concerned friend - I will not use this word again until Skippy does act up or fire or pop or engage or do his job or go on or go off or whatever word it is supposed to be.

THEN, I went looking for a photo to use here for the concept of "shock".  First I have to ask - How does Merriam Webster order its definitions?  The first listed definition of the word "shock" is : a pile of sheaves of grain or stalks of Indian corn set up in a field with the butt ends down.
Not sure if there is a different word for that same pile with the butt ends UP.  Who are these people?


BUT, I am so glad Merriam Webster did that, because I shifted gears and went hunting for a photo of that type of shock.  And what did I find?  WuShock.  Seriously.  This is the mascot of Wichita State University.  A self-described " big, bad, muscle-bound bundle of wheat ".  I am a sucker for mascots. I was a mascot (Bulldog), so I feel like kin to all others.  But how, how, how does an institution decide on a "muscle bound bundle of wheat" as a mascot.  Of course, who am I to judge? My alma maters chose an Orange (previously a Saltine Warrior) and a Spider.


WuShock made my day.  Check him out - he has a FB page. Honestly, he does.  I love America.  And Kansas.


Photo courtesy of WSU website. Really.

No comments:

Post a Comment