Friday, December 18, 2009

Next Year's Christmas Card

I finally sent out my holiday cards today; yes, it's a little late. Not TOO late, I hope; they will get there before 12/25, but they will be arriving on close to the last train, to be sure. But of course, this year, I have a world-class excuse ---- that heart stopping thing buys you a lot of leeway....

I seem to get more "photo" holiday cards each year; where someone or other is posed in front of a tree or with a red/green getup of some sort - something festive. (I understand why people do it, and I like the photos, but it bugs me I can't stand the cards UP in a big grouping.... Oh my God, I am turning into Andy Rooney).

Back to the posting here ----- I have never made one of those cards, but I thought about it seriously this year for the first time. Well, probably not seriously. Well, I thought about it for around three minutes. I think I have an idea that could be great or could be awful, but it's a bad idea if it doesn't come to you until late in the day on December 18. Even with the flexibility brought to us by digital photography, that's just a wee bit late in the game for any idea except "find cards, address them, jot quick note, find stamps and run to the post office".

But here's the idea. A card from Skippy and me - with photo. Skippy, of course, is my implanted defibrillator. I am pretty sure I can't get an actual photo of Skippy himself/itself, so I'll have to substitute a "reasonable fascimilie" - perhaps the Medtronic folks would oblige. So I could dress Skippy up with me - some sort of defibrillator-appropriate matching outfits....
Maybe I could even pen one of those dreaded "family newsletters"; you know, something along the lines of : Marty took up photography this year and has learned Photoshop. In March, Skippy fired for the very first time; we weren't necessarily looking forward to it, but we are so proud that he meets his goals for re-starting flopping-around hearts. OR ...... In July, Skippy and Marty went snorkeling (we are still in negotiations with the Cardiologist about scuba diving), and Skippy just outdid himself - -- he stayed calm and quiet and is showing no signs of rust. We are just so proud....

This idea could use a little work, but it could have great comic potential. Or it could just be dumber than dirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment